Friday, June 20, 2008

Sigh...Not so different after all

Obama rejects public campaign financing. Not because he can get more money privately. No. In fact, he still supports a "robust system of public financing of elections" for everyone except himself. Hmmm. Will the "change" he is believed to represent be more of the same? The word "hypocrite" comes to mind. (Of course, Senator "Show Me the Money" Obama would claim that he never really said that he would use public financing---even though it may seem like he did. I guess it depends on what the meaning of "is" is or some other similar parsing of his words.)

Money talks period. He has more to gain from accepting private money (from both small and large donors) than honoring his own word. That's why he did it. Let's hope we never have to hear any more crap from him or his party about public finance and let's hope McCain learns his lesson about the futility of campaign finance reform.

What a disappointment, but entirely predictable. And practical I suppose. Obama wants to win. Both of him.

0100: Edited.

6/21: Despite Claim, no Major 527 Group Against Obama. NPR.

I was actually silly enough to write to Obama's official web site and got the expected form letter asking me to volunteer and thanking me for my interest/my concerns/my disagreement or whatever it was I wrote about. Just like any other presidential candidate does/has always done. Yes, change is a comin'. Have I lost interest fast...

No comments:

Post a Comment