Monday, May 04, 2009

Oops. Swine flu may actually be no worse than a mild cold

Or something like that. After every news station, Internet site, and newspaper in Japan, the US, Britain, France, Germany, and probably elsewhere (Overseas TV news programs are broadcast every morning via NHK BS. BS being the satellite station, not a comment on their news content.) Now, after they and the WHO said we were all going to die but not to panic, it seems that there was a slight miscalculation on the number of folks who actually had it in Mexico and thus the severity may have been exaggerated. Don't worry though, there is still a chance that it will mutate to a really deadly flu and spread worldwide eliminating both humans and pigs.* Imagine the ratings!

It's too late for me though, as I read in the Japan Times that when people sneeze, cough, or even talk, they spray saliva 2 to 3 meters. I now find myself calculating the distance between myself and anyone who coughs or sneezes to see if I am outside the spit zone. I have not been yet. Ever wondered how wide a train is? I have a pretty accurate estimate now.

I try and try to be like my buddy from Down Under whose main concerns are along the lines of the CIA/Area 51/UFO/JFK assassination link and when the next party is, but I have not been able to reach that "Happy Boy" nirvana.

*5:18 PM The latest reports are now saying that perhaps it is too early not to panic as a global pandemic of total death could still occur:

The World Health Organization cautioned that the swine flu outbreak could gain momentum in the months ahead, despite claims by the health secretary of Mexico -- the epicenter of the outbreak -- that the virus "is in its declining phase."

"I ... would like to remind people that in 1918 the Spanish flu showed a surge in the spring, and then disappeared in the summer months, only to return in the autumn of 1918 with a vengeance," [WHO spokesman] Hartl said. "And we know that that eventually killed 40 million to 50 million people." CNN International

Everything may still go horribly wrong and kill almost everyone. Please do not panic. Stay tuned to CNN for the latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment