Monday, July 04, 2005

July 4

U.S. Independence Day. It brings back a lot of memories of the U.S.--especially in West Virginia. I remember being home about 23-24 years ago in firing a muzzleloading rifle into the air (no ball--powder only) in the evening as a celebration. I also remember in 1979 during the Carter oil crisis driving around on fumes because gas stations were closed by government order.

It also makes me aware that as much as I complain about Japan---mostly the government---that the U.S. is not perfect either. In fact, I probably had more criticism of the U.S. than I do Japan. Of course, that is what patriotism and citizenship is---not just blind acceptance of everything. Democracy exits in Japan to the extent that it does because of the U.S. what the U.S. did--often against the wishes of the Japanese government--after WW2. So I suppose I can freely make critical comments in Japan largely thanks to those postwar U.S policies. I am sure that thought will cause many to soil their panties.

No comments:

Post a Comment