Friday, March 05, 2010

Sony Timer and POS that don't work

After sending my Cateye heart rate monitor back to Osaka for the 3rd time since I bought it in hopes of getting it repaired long enough for the warranty to expire, I was about to lose confidence in the natural, undeniable superiority of all things made in Japan. I mean, it was just last Sunday when I nearly had to wrestle my normally calm wife to the floor to keep her from destroying our fine JVC big screen panel TV with the built-in spam delivery system and our now 1.5 year old falling apart Toshiba DVD/HD player which requires 2 separate remote controls, a re-reading of the incomprehensible owners manual, and the indignity of being ordered to "wait" by an effing electronic device just to play a DVD. Fortunately, I am bigger than she is.

But there's still good ol' Sony. I remember my father telling me when I was about 5 or 6, never to buy Sony products because they were junk. I didn't listen and later proceeded to buy a TV from the BX at Kunsan AB, Korea which spent much of the next 5-6 years in the shop until I finally decided that it fit the garbage can better. I am sure things have improved for Sony since then---and since a company that I worked for in the States did some research that included Sony products and found that people liked the features and considered Sony a good company, but strangely rated reliability and customer service rather poorly.

The good news is that Sony is back: (Warning---from Onion. Don't play this if you have either standards or a sensitivity to "adult language.")


Sony Releases New Stupid Piece Of Shit That Doesn't Fucking Work

Hey, the really good news is that our software is so advanced. Gotta run. Gotta see if I can get my Nikon Capture NX to work on a cloudy day.

The "Sony Timer" refers to the joke among many here that Sony products have a built in "timer" that causes them to fail just as the warranty expires. I believe this to be false, as I rarely get Sony products to last that long. Of course, this post has nothing to do with Toyota.

No comments:

Post a Comment