Friday, May 29, 2009

International marriage analyzed by TV star

An exciting new TV drama is scheduled to begin on NHK called Plastic (Vinyl?)Sheets Blowing in the Wind. In it, a Japanese woman marries her American boss at the Tokyo Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (an ironic location for such an office). Naturally problems ensue. Staring i a TV show and going to eikaiwa lessons gave the star, Kasue Fukisii, special insight into the mysterious world of international marriage

"I take English conversation classes, and when I say to my American or English or Canadian teacher that I'm making this or that drama, they say 'Who is in it?' And when I tell them they are like, 'Hmmm.' They have no idea who I am talking about," Fukiishi explained.... "If that sort of gap becomes apparent in just a 40-minute conversation lesson, imagine what would happen during a whole life together!"...

and to show that she does not work for a bunch of manipulative goofballs with next to no morals: "my management office recommends I date a foreigner — to improve my English language skills." Japan Times

I can't wait to watch. I am sure that it won't be the typical program of its type full of simple-minded stereotypes.

No comments:

Post a Comment