Monday, June 21, 2010

The rightwingers may have failed in their attempt to censor what people can see. Imagine how much nuttier this will drive that small, but noisy minority:

The cancellations [of the movie, The Cove in theaters around Japan] prompted a group of Japanese journalists, academics and film directors to sign a letter urging the theaters not to back down, saying the issue "underlines the weakness of freedom of speech in Japan."AP

Thank goodness that not all journalists think like Takeharu Watai. And thank goodness that folks who signed that letter (and those who support them) showed what a fool I was to write: Perhaps foreigners are less easily deterred by the threats of thugs.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:15 AM

    Yeah, I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised at the Japanese reaction - almost subversive given this and the UStream showing etc. With various other small, under the radar but consistent developments I wonder if we are seeing the seeds being planted of a broader democratic culture in Japan to uphold the democratic institutions of the post-WWII era. Time will tell I guess. (To be sure I am not saying Japan didn't have a democratic culture before - just aspects of it were/are not overly robust and vibrant)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:33 PM

    'The Cove' back on again -- set to be shown at 6 theaters from July 3

    http://www.japantoday.com/category/entertainment/view/the-cove-to-be-shown-at-6-theaters-from-july-3

    ReplyDelete
  3. sigma1: I kinda get the sense---I could not prove it---that we are "seeing the seeds being planted" of a more democratic Japan. I certainly hope so.

    Thanks for the link, Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete